What I Thought January 2013 Could Look Like:
- Draft 3 Original Short Pieces
- Restructure Singing Down Sepia
What January 2013 Actually Looked Like:
- Drafted 5 Original Short Pieces
- Got mired a quarter of the way through restructuring Singing Down Sepia
- Blogged at least once a week to two different blogs
- Journaled at least once a week
I didn’t include blogging and journaling in the list of January goals I shared with the writing group. While I am working toward goals for both this year, I’m not used to thinking either is writing, in the same way I don’t consider “scribbling down random ideas for potential later exploration” writing.
Though if someone asks me what I’m doing when I’m scribbling down random ideas, I’ll likely say “writing” even though I don’t think it is. It’s just easier to explain it that way. Besides, answering that question any other way might lead to a “why” or worse, “what’s your idea?” People who know me know better than to ask me questions like that.
Well. Let me rephrase that. I don’t think of my efforts in that regard as writing, even when an entry is fiction or (heaven help the reader) poetry. I typically mentally label blog or journal entries with one of many fine words that begin with the letter m.
For February, I’d like the magic m-word for my writing (and okay, my blogging and journaling) to be ‘momentum’. Here are the goals I shared with the writing group for this month:
- Draft 5 Original Short Pieces
- Finish restructuring Singing Down Sepia (figuring out where the body of one of the leads has wandered off to would be a really good place to rekindle this effort)